Fiberglass Insulation vs Spray Foam Insulation
Fiberglass insulation is a product that has been in the market since a long time. Over the period of time manufacturers started sensing the growing needs of home owners and came up with different types of insulation to provide better efficiency. Spray foam insulation is a definite product that is capturing the market of Fiberglass due to its efficiency and a number of other benefits. With a number of insulation products in the market the consumer is bound to get confused in finding the right insulation for their home. Let’s take a quick look at which insulation is better, Fibreglass Insulation or Spray Foam Insulation –
- The make of the product is an important aspect that determines how it will work. Due to its unique make spray foam gives a better coverage and performs the insulation task better. It is made of polyurethane which is a mix of organic and inorganic substance. Therefore it is liquid when sprayed and can reach the recessed corners of the wall. Also the liquid expands when it contacts with oxygen to a size much more than the original volume. This enables it to give a proper coverage. Whereas Fiberglass is available in long rolls and pre-cut rectangles, the pre-decided size makes it difficult to adjust and cover the odd corners of the surface.
- It is important that the R-value of the insulation you choose should be good. Spray foam is well known for the R-value it provides. It is the only product that gives an R-value of 6.00 per inch. This makes it a very effective material to use for insulation. However, Fiberglass will require a thicker layer to give an R-value that matches just one layer of spray foam insulation. Thus spray foam emerges as a more economical investment.
- While installing Fiberglass insulation you will need to put in a separate air barrier, however this is not the case with spray foam as it acts as its own air barrier.
- As Fiberglass comes in pre-cut and pre-defined sizes it lacks flexibility to give proper coverage which its counterpart spray foam can afford easily. This makes it possible for spray foam to cover the crevices around pipes and other inlets as well.
- Spray foam forms an ideal insulation for any house as it is a onetime installation. Unlike Fiberglass it requires no maintenance or retouching. It never sags or degrades. Fiberglass after a period of time needs to be replaced with a new and firmer sheet as it tends to deteriorate faster.
- Not only does spray foam maintain the temperature of your house but also keeps it safe from dirt, pollution, molds, mildew and moisture. Also spray foam makes your water proof, fire resistant and sound proof. This is not in the capacity of fiberglass.
- Spray foam may be an expensive option as compared to fibre glass, but it returns the cost incurred within a few months through the savings you make on the energy bills. Also the savings continue for life turning into profit made each month.
However the benefits of spray foam can be enjoyed only when it is applied by a professional with the required equipment and techniques. EcoStarFoam.com is a leading service provider for this eco friendly insulation. They have a team of experts who are qualified enough to cover every crevice in your house and reduce your energy bills. They are popular service providers in New Orleans, Louisiana and surrounding area.