Spray Polyurethane Foam (SPF) is made up of harmful chemicals that can cause severe respiratory and skin problems when a person is exposed to it. Prolonged exposure can even be toxic and can cause death.
Because of the dangers (severe respiratory and skin problems) that the use of spray foams impose, installers need to wear respirators and protective clothing. But, there are alternatives to spray foam insulation and eco-friendly forms of spray foam insulation that are non-toxic, renewable, and recyclable.
Two Most Eco-Friendly Spray Foam Insulation Products
Many installers will recommend spray foam insulation as a much better option for maximizing energy efficiency and enhancing indoor comfort. Spray foam insulation is sometimes called Spray Polyurethane Foam Insulation, installed or applied in three ways:
- New home construction
- General home renovations
- Specific retrofit projects
Now, you can choose to have contractors install a green eco-friendly spray foam insulation. Walltite ECO and Icynene are the two best options to install eco-friendly spray foam insulation.
Walltite ECO Spray Foam Insulation
Walltite ECO is a highly recommended eco-friendly spray foam insulation that is ideal for under concrete floors, inside wood or steel framing, and foundation walls. An advantage of this eco-friendly spray foam is it can be applied in a single application.
In Canada, Walltite ECO exceeds the specifications of the National Building Code and it is the only insulation system that satisfies the polyurethane durability test. It is also the first closed-cell spray foam to be certified by EcoLogo, North America’s most acknowledged certification.
EcoLogo assures consumers that Walltite ECO is a trusted eco-friendly spray foam insulation product.
Another distinctive characteristic of Walltite ECO that makes it eco-friendly is it meets the strict standard of the GREENGUARD Certification Program. This certification assures these qualities of Walltite ECO making it safe for school applications:
- Indoor comfort
- Indoor safety
The best benefits that you will get from using Walltite as the most eco-friendly spray foam insulation include:
- Adds structural strength
- Repels water
- Creates an effective vapor barrier preventing condensation, mold, and mildew
- Do not sag, shrink, or deteriorate
- Reduces noise transmission
- Manufacturers using recycled and renewable natural materials
- R6 per inch, reducing energy use by 40%
According to BASF UK, “spray-applied closed-cell polyurethane foam is the only insulation material that adds structural integrity throughout the wall system. Testing shows spray-applied polyurethane foam insulation between wood- and steel-stud wall panels, increases rack and shear strength, two to three times compared with standard timber frame components with glass fiber insulation.”
Contractors choose Walltite ECO because this spray foam product is durable and dependable, adding structural strength, stopping air and moisture leakage, and reducing noise transmission. Most of all, it has been engineered using renewable and recycled materials, is Greenguard certified, and contains zero ozone-depleting blowing agents.
Icynene Spray Foam Insulation
If you are searching for completely non-toxic spray foam insulation, Icynene spray foam insulation is a safe method for insulating your home. Mass Foam Systems noted that Icynene is “actually one of the safest, healthiest, and most eco-friendly insulation methods. Unlike other polyurethane foams, Icynene is completely non-toxic and has an array of benefits to help reduce your carbon footprint.”
Here’s how Icynene spray foam insulation a green spray foam insulation with environmental benefits:
- Keeps your home air-tight to reduce heat loss
- Made of 99% pure water-blown air
- Does not contain any formaldehyde chemicals, toxic chemicals, or harmful gases
- Produced from entirely recyclable materials
- Trialled and approved to be safe for both human and animal health (it is safe to enter the home again just 2 hours after installation)
- Independently tested as per ISO 16000-9 to determine that it is not made with any pollutants or hazardous substances
- Recommended by AMICA, the European Association for the Environmental and Chronic Toxic Injury, as completely safe to install in properties
Best Alternatives to Spray Foam Insulation
If you are still doubtful that any type of spray foam insulation product can bring harm to your health and safety, there are alternatives to spray foam that are eco-friendly materials for insulation. These eco-friendly insulation materials are:
1. Sheep’s wool
Sheep wool insulation is 100% all-natural, renewable, recyclable, and biodegradable. This insulation material comes from sheared excess wool from sheep. The wool then undergoes minimal processing before it is ready to be installed for insulation. Why is sheep’s wool a great insulation material?
- Absorbs any excess moisture up to 35% of its net weight, making it an excellent material to keep mold and mildew at bay.
- Acts as an air filter because of the amino acids that make up the material. The amino acids irreversibly bind with several chemical nasties that could be floating in your indoor air like cancer-causing formaldehyde or nitrogen oxides, and sulfur dioxide.
- Maintains an R-value up to 4.3/inch for 50 years.
- Extremely resistant to fire and is self-extinguishing
- Resistant to insects and rodents because of its boric acid content, a naturally occurring earth mineral considered non-toxic.
Another eco-friendly alternative to spray foam insulation is cork, a natural tree product. It is harvested and manufactured in a completely sustainable way, even considered to be carbon-negative. Its insulation qualities include:
- R-value of 4 per inch
- Very fire resistant
- Allows water to pass through without causing damage
- Guaranteed to last 50-60 years
Hemp wool is a great eco-friendly home insulation material because it is fire resistant and not prone at all to microbial growth. It absorbs excess condensation without becoming moldy. When used in insulation, it will not slump due to gravity over time in walls. Your home can enjoy insulating benefits with hemp wool for its entire life duration of 50+years.
What is the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
Green building materials are becoming the trend. There are many types of eco-friendly insulation materials you can choose from. The most eco-friendly insulation material for your home will depend on the structural composition of your home and the environment in which you live.
Other eco-friendly insulation materials include:
Is Spray Foam Insulation Environmentally Friendly?
There are alternative spray foam insulation products that are considered to be environmentally friendly. The traditional spray foam insulation, however, is not considered to be eco-friendly, so if you are looking to reduce your carbon footprint while saving money and energy, choose the more sustainable types of insulation.
More From Ecostar Foam
Star Spray Foam insulation in New Orleans community is proud to provide affordable, efficient insulation services. We have built a reputation in the NOLA area for efficient, high-quality insulation at an affordable cost.
We use quality materials to maximize the amount of heat retained inside your home – and we install them for you hassle-free. Contact us today!